Friday, March 19, 2010

Poem #15-2010

I ain't got a poem in me today
but I got a hard fire burning
and a cold shoulder to lean into it

I got too many lures
dangling off my pole
and a wide open lake calling for justice

I got inside information
no one wants
and a bony wreath made out of newspapers

I got high end merchandise
to sell the natives
and two fingers crossed behind my back

I got interminable busies
floating on borrowed time
and a broken watch to prove it

I got harsh words a plenty
for them that hurt little children
and a big knife to show 'em I mean it

I got a whopper of a story to tell
woven out of mustard seeds
and stuck between two false teeth

No, I ain't got a poem in me today
but tomorrow may be worse:
I may have to birth one



This poem contributed to dVersePoets Open Link Night.
Follow them on Twitter @dVersePoets.

7 comments:

  1. This one sounds awfully familiar. ;) Great project, Rick! I'm followin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha very nice...love the attitude and a bit crazy...and if you need i will bring my knife as well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This poem is like a strong drink. Each verse has an intriguing ice & fire image.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may not one have in you, because it already came out..haha..wonderful verse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today's history lesson brought to you by the incomparable Rick Dale.

    Take a bow, sir.

    Cheers,

    Mark Butkus

    ReplyDelete
  6. I continue to marvel at your "voice" Rick. And a great message for us poets who ain't got a poem today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got a whopper of a story to tell
    woven out of mustard seeds
    and stuck between two false teeth


    your words are brilliant in many ways, sharp write.

    :)

    ReplyDelete