Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Poem #11-2011: Were It Today

Were It Today

I remember your musky sweet smell
and cannot think of any possible
way to make that sound romantic

You colored your hair
very dark against your creamy white skin

Back then, that made you a “slut”
Were it today, no one would notice

My friends did not support my choice in you
Regrettably, I succumbed to their smallness
and not to your sweet passion

I’ve since learned to resist the web of others,
learned to spin my own destiny

Were it today
I might be smelling you on
the pillow beside me
this cold sad morning

Were it today



This poem contributed to dVersePoets Open Link Night.
Follow them on Twitter @dVersePoets.

8 comments:

  1. oh, wow, regrets of love lost. glad you aren't succumbing to the pack these days. Nice bit of verse here - thanks for sharing it - I enjoyed :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man...very nice...if only it were today...i feel the regret in this...we were stupid once...ok so maybe i still am at times...

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the inclusion of smell here...and the regret is palpable...think we all have made this wrong decisions, influenced by our friends or environment and when we realize, it's too late...powerful write rick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lost love. The regret. That yearning. It comes through...

    a cross

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so poignant. I think we all look back on what might have been if we'd had the maturity to think things through for ourselves. Well-expressed, Rick

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone can identify with this, one way or another. Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love it,

    regrets clearly stated and beautifully constructed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Today..... memories are so special..... I agree with Beachanny because I certainly can relate to it, except I was always the one viewed as a "slut!" hahaha.... nice poem....

    ReplyDelete