Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Poem #14-2011 Family Truth

Family Truth

Some of the time – not nearly enough -
I bite the tongue of nurture.
Instead,

I disavow mother’s acerbic conditioning,
I reframe father’s dour aphorisms about growing old being “bad business,” and
I pretend brother actually saw me.
Instead,

I rely on surrogate family:
Some are flesh-and-blood,
but most are images conjured from eternal words
by inspirational authors dead and alive.

Embracing the latter,
I unleash the tongue of truth.


This poem contributed to dVersePoets Open Link Night.
Follow them on Twitter @dVersePoets.

3 comments:

  1. you know...i used to retreat into books and authors to get me through...this is all too real for me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was the surrogate family that got me through my teenage years. A good dose of Sartre, Camus, Gide, Orwell, Malraux and existentialism gave me an appreciation for life and the time in between.
    Happy Holidays Rick!
    Cheers,
    Mark Butkus

    ReplyDelete