Monday, August 13, 2012

Poem #14-2012 Jack Attack


Jack, Jack, Jack
Ti Jean
Kerouac
Ti Pousse
Mickey, Michael, Leo
Francis, Peter
Zagg, Wesley
Sal, Ray
Mike, Robert
Richard

Maggie Cassidy, Tristessa, Satori in Paris, Doctor Sax, Visions of Cody, Desolation Angels, Big Sur, Visions of Gerard,The Town and the City, Orpheus Emerged, The Subterraneans,
Atop an Underwood, Book of Dreams, Vanity of Duluoz, The Sea is My Brother, On the Road,
The Dharma Bums, And the Hippos Were Boiled in Their Tanks

Richard
Mike, Robert
Sal, Ray
Zagg, Wesley
Francis, Peter
Mickey, Michael, Leo
Ti Pousse
Kerouac
Ti Jean
Jack, Jack, Jack



Contributed to dVersePoets.com
Open Link Night



This is a slam poem meant to be recited aloud from memory. It's a riff on all the characters that Jack Kerouac used for himself in his books (the latter in italics). I plan to perform it at Lowell Celebrates Kerouac this October. Wish me luck - memorization ain't easy at my age.

11 comments:

  1. ha. very cool concept...and i bet it is really cool when done live too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would surely be fun to perform and hear. Good luck memorizing it haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like it! Would love to hear this spoken, too!

    http://susandanielseden.wordpress.com/2012/05/01/my-dead/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck . When I trained in improvised storytelling we used an appraoch call the dragon bones. This is creating key images or words of a story which you then improvise around rather then memorise a story

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Kerouac explosion, definitely, and hope it proves mnemic--I imagine Kerouac aficionados will be more than pleased. It was fun just reading the book titles for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahaa, wonderful! I can easily imagine this being spoken out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome!!! I am a huge fan of sound play in poetry and would love to hear a recording of this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome and i would love to hear it as well

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you have an amazing mind! How did you ever do that from memory. You must be a genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jannie - I didn't write it from memory, and I haven't tried to perform it from memory (yet). I'll keep you posted....

    ReplyDelete