Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Poem #16-2011 A Promise Kept

A Promise Kept
          for Cindy but not for Bob

I wrote a poem once. and it was a good poem
as I recall
but I don’t know where it went at all
I mean – not where the paper I wrote it on went
(Hell, I’m sure it went the way of my baseball cards – unmercifully bent)
I mean
          where did that passion go?

Is it gone forever?
For. Ever.

One summer
Between schooling
A promise made
A promise kept: a poem each day

Hand-delivered first day back
         must have been 90 or so:June-July-August

My pay a thank you
and seeing her walk down the hall holding hands with my mortal enemy
          poetless soul-less blond hunk of fiery loin-grinding nemesis

didn’t keep a copy (pre-Xerox)
never saw them again

Her?

Once – lame class reunion
didn’t have the balls to ask

I rather think that good poem was in that batch
and now it’s in her
but tomorrow it will be in me again
This poem contributed to dVersePoets Open Link Night.
Follow them on Twitter @dVersePoets.

6 comments:

  1. man...nice story telling...i was not writing poetry back then but songs and i am sure a few found their way to the trash soon enough...smiles...but maybe one day one of them will hum a bar or two and smile...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha..i bet tomorrow it's in you again... these poems have a wander soul...smiles...very fine write rick...enjoyed it a lot ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. High School is a place of angst and torment for most of us. Good write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great tale disguised as a poem. I, also, believe our poems wander and take root somewhere, though we never know it. I love this, "Once – lame class reunion
    didn’t have the balls to ask"

    Tomorrow it will no doubt be in you.

    Namaste........cj

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how cj put it ... a story disguised as a poem :) Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you think - and word it out - the phrasing - the story in a poem wrapped around an idea - another great write here! enjoying the musings!

    ReplyDelete